DYNAMIC SPEAKING AND 9 POWERFUL SPEAKING EXERCISES
Powerful, Effective, and Dynamic speaking, is a skill and an art that must be learned, developed, and practiced daily if you want to achieve greater success. There are a number of tools and techniques that you will need to employ to enhance your communication skills and with time and effort, you can perfect them.
There are two categories of human communication. They are verbal and nonverbal. How well you communicate with both will determine what kind of life you’re going to live. To live the life, you’ve always dreamt of will depend on how effectively you communicate.
Speaking and communicating is like a sport that must be practiced every day. I will give you nine exercises that will help you to improve.
WAKE UP YOUR BODY AND VOICE
Before starting these exercises, warm up your body by doing jumping jacks or running in place, and don’t forget to stretch. WAKE YOUR ENTIRE BODY UP!
Then make your mouth as big as possible and move it around (like your chewing gum) in the circular motion for 5 minutes. Warm up your voice on a hum, use different pitches for your hum. Then once your vocal cords feel sufficiently warm, open your mouth to let your diaphragm support the sounds that are coming out. The weird, stranger, and freer the noises are, the better. If you get louder, ensure you are always supporting your breath from your diaphragm, do not push your breath from your vocal cords.
When you speak, speak from a very positive place. SMILING always helps. Ensure that your voice and sound are focused on the person you are talking to.
BE A WORDSMITH
Expand your VOCABULARY! People judge you by the choice of words you use. Choose them carefully. Try learning 5 interesting new words every day and avoid using slang.
FIND THE POWER OF YOUR VOICE
When you speak, your voice is the primary link between you and your listeners. Every time you address a colleague, friend, significant other, or an audience your mind, body, and voice all play an important role with your listeners. The greatest tool you have as a speaker is having a strong and dynamic presentation.
9 POWERFUL SPEAKING EXERCISES
- Speak for 10 minutes every morning, look in the mirror and tell yourself how amazing you are. Speak until you believe your words and motivate yourself. If you cannot inspire yourself to change, chances, are you will not be able to change anyone else. That means that you have to connect to your energy and passion.
- Talk to someone special about what you want, need, and feel. Use ‘I’ statements like “I need this”, “I want this” and “I feel this.” Expressing personal feelings and emotions are the most difficult. For communication to be powerful it has to be personal and meaningful to you.
- Take singing lessons not just to improve your singing, but to help you find your voice. Singing and taking powerful acting exercises will help you discover what is it that you have to say. What is your unique message to the world?
- Be aware of your body language. When you speak, look into the other person’s eyes, letting them know you care. Keep checking your body language. Your body should be conveying the same message as your words in order to be effective. Notice your breath. Take five breaths and follow each inhale and exhale. Shift your awareness from your breath to your body and begin to scan through the body slowly from head to toe, observing any tension, feelings, or emotions that may be present.
- “Listen with your blood.” Active listening is the most important factor in having a constructive dialogue in business and life. It’s not what you think they said, but what they meant. Try understanding and connecting with other people’s intentions, feelings, needs, and wants. This is called empathy.
- Talk to 3 new people every day. You must be willing to leave your comfort zone for this practice to be effective. Pushing yourself to speak under pressure will improve your ability to speak in any given situation.
- Go into a very busy restaurant or other exclusive places where they require a reservation or an appointment for service. Once they tell you that they cannot accommodate you right at that moment, use your charm, humor, and well-chosen words to convince them into giving you what you requested. This will only work if you do this with love and humility. You will discover that if you put your intention into getting something, you can achieve it. I know that great words and the right energy can change any situation.
- Record yourself reading poetry or text and play it back. Find your diction, articulation, and your vocal power. This is finding the tone, the pitch, and the specific sound that is pleasing to the ear. This is what makes people want to listen to you. Sometimes voices are too nasal or too squeaky and very hard on the ear making them not appealing nor do we want to listen to. The sound you make when you speak is the most crucial factor when communicating.
- Find a rousing or powerful piece of text that you emotionally connect with, which also has deep meaning for you. Read it out aloud every day with energy and power. For example, the “I have a dream” speech by the legendary civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, is a passionate, emotional, and inspiring speech.
“I Have A Dream” (an excerpt from the speech below).
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal”…I have a dream that my four little
children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today…
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.
With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day. This will be the day when all of God’s children will be able to sing with new meaning, “My country ’tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrims’ pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring.”
And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.
BERNARD HILLER ACTING AND SUCCESS STUDIO
Bernard Hiller is a world-renowned International Hollywood acting and public speaker trainer. His methods have revolutionized the speaking world. He will teach you the dynamic skills that he has taught his superstar actors and CEOs around the globe.
The average trainer gives out information and advice. However, Bernard believes that “You don’t just need information. You need absolute transformation!” Bernard’s techniques turn you into a dynamic and powerful person that speaks with authority and passion!
These sessions are totally unique, life-changing, fun, and unforgettable.
To help you discover the dynamic speaker within please email Dustin at [email protected] to schedule your private session.
For further information, please go to our website links: www.bernardhiller.com